In Shopify, you can specify two different product types – Custom Type and Standard Type. In addition to being able to update the Custom Product Type in bulk, the Matrixify app now also provides the ability to bulk update the Shopify Product Standard Type in just a few simple steps.
Steps in short to bulk update Shopify Product Standard Type
- Export Products with Basic Columns and Standard Type.
- Update data in the exported file.
- Remove columns you do not need for the import.
- Import your file to bulk update Shopify Products Standard Type.
1. Export Shopify Product Standard Type
First, go into the Matrixify app in your Shopify store and create new export by clicking the “New Export” button.
Select the export format as
Matrixify: Excel. Then the app will be able to export data to Excel XLSX file which is a lot more user-friendly than the CSV files.
If you need to export to a CSV file, you can instead select the export format
Then select what data to export.
To update only the Standard Type, you need to select to export
Basic Columns and
You do not need to select any other checkboxes or export options. The default ones will work just fine here.
If you need to bulk update the Shopify Product Standard Type for specific Products, then click on the “Filters” button under Products where you can apply various filters to limit what Products are exported.
Start the export by pressing the “Export” button at the top or bottom of the page.
Wait for the export to finish and download the file by pressing the “Download Exported File” button.
2. Update Shopify Product Standard Type in the exported file
Now that you have the file, open it and see how it looks.
You should have one row per product and in the columns
Type: Standard ID,
Type: Standard Name and
Type: Standard you can see each product’s Standard Type.
If those columns are empty, then this product does not have a Standard Type set in Shopify yet.
Open the Shopify Product Taxonomy document to see what Standard Types are available in Shopify.
Now, let’s dig into what those exported columns actually mean!
Type: Standard ID– this column is the ID number for the Standard Type.
Type: Standard Name– in this column, you can see the actual Standard Type category as you see it in the Shopify Admin. Last category is from the full path. This can be useful if you need to use the Standard Type in reporting.
Type: Standard– here you see the full path of the Standard Type.
Now you can update values in those columns from the Shopify Product Taxonomy list to change/update Standard Type for your Products.
The simplest way to do this is using only the
Type: Standard column.
In this column you can set any of the following details:
- only the Standard Type ID. For example,
- only the Standard Type name. For example,
- the full path of Standard Type. For example,
Apparel & Accessories > Clothing > Pants.
- or copy the whole row from Shopify Product Taxonomy document that has ID and full path, for example,
173 - Apparel & Accessories > Clothing > Pants.
So the simplest way is just copying the whole row, so now you can copy correct new types only in the
Type: Standard column.
Notice that we have only set the
Type: Standard column in the file.
Whatever is simpler for you – you can set values through other columns as well, for example, fill only
Type: Standard ID, or
Type: Standard Name, or
Type: Standard, or any other combination of those.
If filling multiple Standard Type columns then make sure that values are from the same category.
3. Remove the unnecessary columns
Now that you have set the Standard Type for your Products in the file, you can remove columns that you do not need for this import.
To update this data, you only need the following columns from exported file:
Type: Standard(and/or other Standard Type columns that you set in previous step)
So the file now should look like this:
Save the file and head back into the Matrixify app in your store.
4. Import updated file to bulk update Shopify Product Standard Type
Go to the Matrixify app Import section – upload your updated file.
First, the app will analyze the file. Once it’s done make sure that everything looks correct – that app detected import as
Products and the Product count is correct.
No need to change any import options, default values are good for typical updates.
If all looks correct, press the “Import” button to start the import.
Learn more about the import process and how to troubleshoot issues on our “How it works” page.
Once the import is finished, go to your Shopify Admin and enjoy the updated Standard Type for your Products!
Good to know
- You can also update the Shopify Product Custom Type in bulk the same way by changing values in
- If you wish to double-check that all Products have the Standard Type set in Shopify, you can do another export as in step #1.
- If you have questions or issues during the import, reach out to the Matrixify support team directly!
- See other Matrixify Product related tutorials.
- Read Shopify manual about Product Standard and Custom Types.