Smart Collections are collections in which products are included according to some condition (rule). These collections will be updated dynamically as soon as more products appear that match the conditions set.
You can create Smart Collections and include Products by their Tags, or any other Product fields like Vendor, Type, Price, etc. in the Smart Collection. This tutorial will show you how to create a Smart Collection including Products by Tags.
To include products in Smart Collections by Product Tags using the Matrixify app, you must follow these steps:
- Prepare an Excel or CSV file with Smart Collections by Product tag, according to the Matrixify template.
- Import the created file into Shopify using Matrixify.
- Enjoy your newly Imported Smart Collections!
1. Prepare the Excel or CSV file with Smart Collections by Product Tag
Basic fields that need to be filled are
Must Match, and
Rules. In this tutorial, all products that have the tag private or business jet will be included in the Smart Collection named Private and Business. So, there will be 2 rules defined – each of them in a separate row.
You can decide if you want to include those products that have at least one of the tags (“private” or “business jet”), or the product should have both tags to be included in the Collection. If the value in the
Must Match is set to any condition, all products with at least one of these two tags will be included. If the value is set to all conditions, only those products that have both tags will be included in the Smart Collection.
In the Rule: columns the rules for the Smart Collection are set. For the Tag property you must use the Equals relation.
You must remember to tell the app you are going to be Importing Smart Collections.
To tell the app that you are importing Smart Collections you need:
- If using CSV file then the file name needs to contain the word “Smart Collections”, for example, “my-shopify-smart-collections.csv”
- If using XLSX file then the sheet/tab name in the file needs to be “Smart Collections”. The file name for the XLSX file does not matter.
Once you have done this, save the file.
2. Import created file into Shopify using Matrixify
Now let’s import the created file into the Store with the Matrixify app.
Go to the Matrixify app and in the Home page Import section, you can upload the file.
First, the file will be analyzed by the app. Once the file is analyzed you need to check that the app has recognized the file correctly as Smart Collections and that the item count in the file looks correct.
You do not need to adjust any Import Options, default ones will work fine.
Then press the “Import” button in the top right-hand corner and the file will start Importing.
Once the import has started, you can follow its progress in the app.
You can close the app while the import is running as it is happening on our servers.
If you change your mind about something, you can press the “Cancel” button to cancel the import job, and start over. Thus far imported Products will already have the updated descriptions in your Shopify store.
Also, when canceling the import job, Matrixify will still generate the Import Results file for you for the items that were imported before canceling.
3. Enjoy your newly Imported Smart Collection!
Once the import is finished, you will see the job status as “Finished” in the Matrixify app.
If you see any Failed items, then after the import has finished, you can download the Import Results file and look at the
Import Comment column. It will tell why the particular Product failed. Then you can fix that issue and re-import just the Products that failed with the fixed rows again.
Now you can see the created Smart Collection under Products -> Collections.
When clicking on the collection, you will see the products that are included.
Good to know:
- You can export the Products that belong to the Smart Collection, by setting the “Collection” filter when exporting Products.
- In Shopify you can create up to 5000 Smart Collections. This is what you also can bulk import with the Matrixify app.
- You can use other Product fields in conditions, like, Vendor, Type, Price, etc. Tags was just one example.
- Read the full description of all fields of Shopify Smart / Automated Collections.
- Read our tutorial on how to bulk manage your Shopify tags.
- Read our tutorial on exporting Collections as Product columns.