Creating a lot of discounts for your sales is a complicated task. With Matrixify you can create your Shopify Discount codes in bulk by following these simple steps.
The step-by-step process
- In your Shopify Admin create a new Discount as a sample that you wish to create in bulk.
- Export your Shopify Discount Code using the Matrixify app.
- Use those exported Discounts as a template – copy exported discount code in new rows.
- Update the Title and Code columns to your new codes.
- Update other columns as you need.
- Delete the ID column.
- Save the file and import with Matrixify.
- Enjoy your new Discount Codes.
- Bonus: Create many codes for one Discount.
1. Create a sample Shopify discount code
By creating sample discounts in the Shopify Admin we make the whole process a lot easier for ourselves. In the exported file we will be able to easier see what values go into what columns for our selected Discount type.
In this example, we will use the Percentage Discount in our example with as many fields filled as allowed. You can use any other Discount type and field combination.
2. Export your Shopify Discount
Now head over to Matrixify app in the New Export page select “Matrixify: Excel” file format.
Select “Discounts” checkbox from the “Select Sheets” drop-down.
You can start the export by pressing the “Export” button.
3. Copy exported discount in new rows
We can see the same Discount in Matrixify format in Excel file. The first thing to do now would be to duplicate/copy this discount code multiple times.
In the example, we will make a total 10 Discounts in this example, but you can create as many Discounts as you need.
4. Update Title and Code columns
At the moment the app would see this as one Discount as we do not yet have assigned new codes and titles to each row. For each row to indicate a unique Discount – each row should have its own
These two columns can and should be the same for a single Discount (if you are not creating multiple codes within a single Discount).
5. Update other columns that you need
At this point, we can check our file and edit other fields. To see more detailed information about every column in our Discount sheet, head over to our Discounts sheet documentation where you can see every column, possible/allowed values, and their descriptions.
In this example, we will update columns –
Command– set to a value
NEWto import new Discounts.
Discount Value– set to each Discounts value. For percentage Discounts, this would be a percentage. For fixed amount Discounts this would be the discount amount.
Minimum Purchase Amount– different minimum purchase amounts for each Discount.
Applies To: Collections– Collections Handle of the collection that the Discount applies to.
Remember that you can also adjust other column values as needed for your Discounts, or keep all with the same values to create many Discounts with the same options.
6. Delete the ID column
Last important thing to do is to delete the ID column. As we currently have all the same IDs for these codes, the app will still understand them as the same code and will try to update the code by this ID only.
Luckily we do not need to list the IDs as Matrixify can identify existing Discounts also by their
Code column value (just it is a bit slower). An ID is assigned to a new Discount by Shopify when the Discount is created. You need to use the
ID when you want to change the “Code” column value for an existing Discount.
7. Save the file and import via Matrixify
Now we can save this file and import your Discounts into Shopify in bulk, using the Matrixify App. You must also remember to tell the app that you are importing Discounts:
- If using CSV file then the file name needs to contain the word “Discounts”, for example, “my-shopify-discounts.csv”
- If using XLSX file then the sheet/tab name in the file needs to be precisely “Discounts”. The file name for the XLSX file does not matter.
Next, locate the Import section in the Matrixify App and drop the file in the file upload area.
The app will analyze the file and count how many Discounts are being imported. If the “Total” shown on the screen does not much the count of Discounts in your file then double-check if IDs are deleted and each row has unique
Press the Import button to start the import.
If you see any Failed items, then after the import has finished, you can download the Import Results file and look into the
Import Comment column. It will tell why the particular Discount has failed. Then you can fix that issue and re-import just those failed and fixed rows again.
8. Enjoy your new imported Discounts
9. Bonus: Create many codes for one Discount
There’s a hidden easter egg in Shopify where you can actually create many codes for one Discount.
That is very useful when you need to have many codes with exactly the same conditions.
To import several discount codes for one Discount, repeat the rows with the same
Title, and have different
Code column value for each of those rows.
Discount with several Codes will look in Shopify like this:
How many codes can there be for one Discount?
We tested that Shopify allowed us to import over 100 000 Codes for one Discount. At that point, we stopped the experiment, because it seems that there is actually no limit for how many codes you can have for one Discount.
What to do next?
- Install the Matrixify App
- See the tutorial on how to import several Codes for a single Discount
- Read the Discounts sheet documentation with explanations of each column
- Download the demo template file and check out other Discount variations
- Contact Matrixify support if you run into any issues or have additional questions