You can migrate your Magento Customers to Shopify by the following steps:
- Export your Customers from Magento to CSV file using the standard Magento CSV export.
- Give the file name such that it contains the word “Magento” and a word “Customers“, e.g. “Magento_Customers-2018-11-13.csv”.
- Upload to the Matrixify (Excelify) app.
- Under Options, choose “Dry run” – to not import just yet.
- Download Import Results file and check that all Customers are as you need them.
- Make any other corrections you need.
- Import that corrected Excel file.
- See your Magento Customers in Shopify.
In this tutorial, we will work with the Magento sample data store with all the default settings in it.
1: Export your Customers from Magento
Log in to your Magento Admin Panel:
Go to menu: System -> Import/Export -> Export
In the Export Settings choose:
- Entity Type: Customers
- Export File Format: CSV
No need to fiddle with any of the other checkboxes.
Press the Continue button at the bottom of the page.
This will download your all Magento Customers as a CSV file.
2: Rename the file to contain the words “Magento” and “Customers”
When you download your exported CSV file from Magento, it will be called something like this:
For Matrixify (Excelify) to know that this is Magento file, you need to change that file name so that it contains “magento” and “customers”. For example:
Right away, after Matrixify (Excelify) analyzed the file, you will see how many “Customers” are found in that file.
Note that it should say that it recognized the file as the “Format: Magento CSV”.
4: Under Options, choose “Dry run”
If you want to import without adjusting anything, you can skip this step.
We suggest you to first do the Dry run and check your import file – clean up the data and then do the actual import.
To set the Dry run, click on the Options button, and check the “Dry run” checkbox:
Doing the Dry run will just run through the file conversion process and will generate you the “Import Results” file in the Matrixify (Excelify) format – as if you imported it, but it will not actually import anything just yet.
Don’t worry about the time estimate here – that is shown approximate time it would take to actually import them, but the dry run will take just a few seconds.
Press the “Import” button.
5: Download and check Import Results file
After the Dry run is finished, download the “Import Results” file:
You will have the Excel file like this with one sheet (tab) in it: Customers:
Note the “Tags” column – those contain customer information from your Magento store, that does not have special field in the Shopify, for example, Gender:Male, Magento Group:4, etc. This information can be useful, but you also can delete it if it is not needed.
There are also two Metafileds columns: Metafield: dob – that contains customer Date of Birth, and Metafield: vat_id – for VAT. These data is easier to operate with, when it is in the separate columns. Again, you can delete those columns, if it is not needed.
6: Import that updated Excel file
Take the Excel file which you have updated and prepared for the import, and upload it again to the Matrixify (Excelify) app.
And just press the “Import” button.
Wait for the import to run.
If you see any Failed items, then after the import has finished, you can again download the Import Results file and look into the “Import Comment” column. It will tell why the particular Customer failed. Then you can fix that issue and re-import just those failed and fixed rows again.
For example, here the error is: Failed. Phone: is invalid
How you can fix it?
- One way is to correct the number in the Excel sheet, if you know, what is the correct one, and import the file again.
- Another option is to delete the phone number from the column Address Phone. You can put into column Note, so that it is not lost. And then import the file.
Where to go from here?
- Create your Shopify store,
- Install the Matrixify (Excelify) app.
- Read the Customers template documentation.
- Learn more about migrations to Shopify and what other types of data Matrixify (Excelify) can migrate to Shopify in bulk.
- Contact Matrixify (Excelify) support.